About the NZAFT
The New Zealand Association of French Teachers
Constituted in 1988, the NZAFT is affiliated to the New Zealand Association of Language Teachers.
This subject association currently has around 180 members throughout New Zealand. Its main roles are
- to actively promote the teaching of French
- to provide opportunities to its members to network and to access Professional Development and
- to communicate information relevant to teachers and the teaching of French.
The NZAFT also has an advocacy role with the Ministry of Education and to NZQA. The NZAFT is administered by a National Executive comprising a President, a Junior Vice President, a Senior Vice President (for one year when the President changes) a Secretary/Treasurer.
The current President is Sue Pommarède and Hilary Clark is our Secretary/Treasurer.
Why you should join the NZAFT
- The NZAFT is your voice. Without members we could not exist to represent you in forums (for example the Ministry) which affect our teaching and learning. The strength of our voice is dependent on a broad base of membership.
- You are part of a family of teachers of French in New Zealand which provides opportunities for networking with others who share your passion for teaching and learning French.
- Members are able to share or glean knowledge of their subject – language and culture – by belonging to a hub of professional colleagues.
- You and your school are eligible to apply for the Mark Williams award for financial assistance for your project.
- Your students are able to enter our “Concours” which offer excellent opportunities for creativity and also good prizes.
- Support is readily available regarding curriculum matters, through other members or your regional officer.
- The sharing of assessment material, experience and moderation opportunities (via the Moderation Forum on this website) is possible across the country.
- Opportunities for professional development are available to members.
- Through the website, resources and ideas can be shared and accessed by members, providing a wealth of teaching materials.
Opportunities offered by the NZAFT