Moderation 1.2 presentation

How much reading is too much? In spite of my repeated warnings I have students who have read from completely copied out speeches. Please look at this example. He has a good presentation with all the structures etc and I would put him on a “merit”. There are some errors of tense which hinder understanding. BUT in reality he has read the speech. He absorbs the sentence, looks up and finishes it. There is very little he says from memory. So, has he read too much to achieve?

Post Tagged with

6 Responsesso far.

1. MorganP says:

Hi Estelle,

Thanks for sharing your student’s work. In my opinion he has done a great job. For me, he is using his cue (even though it’s the speech in entirety, doesn’t Obama do that too??) to help jog his memory and carry on. He seems to be thinking abut what he is saying rather than just spitting it out from memory. I’m looking forward to hearing what others think but for me he is not reading too much.

As a level 1 presentation I am really impressed with his content and I think this fits in the effective category! My understanding wasn’t hindered by inconsistencies.

Morgan

2. Estelle Seaman says:

Thanks Morgan – maybe I’m being too harsh. I’ll have to have another look at those who have referred rather often to their notes! I understand that if they “look up” then it is not really “reading” – and as you say he did know what he was talking about, not simply reeling off words.

3. Henriette says:

Hi Hi Estelle, I also watched and I didn’t think he was reading too much. The language is quite advanced for year 11 and it contributes to a lot of hesitations and looking down as his paper. In a way I feel it would have been better for him to keep it more natural and simpler but no worries about the amount of reading…
    I A

4. RebeccaAnderson says:

I think Merit is a fair grade. I am OK with how often he is referring to his piece of paper. I also agree with Henriette re language use.

5. Estelle Seaman says:

Bonjour – thanks for your replies.
    Just as a matter of interest, take a look at this exemplar (high merit) and note how this student refers continually to her paper and yet she is not considered to be reading. It seems that “reading” means “not lifting your eyes from your paper”.
    I wish you all a great holiday and hope to see you soon at the Immersion Day and at Conference.
    Estelle

6. SusannaLallemant says:

nah, that’s not reading! I’ll show you reading… the eyes are tracking across the page when they are reading!